This Book is Overdue!

I picked up a copy of Marilyn Johnson's This Book is Overdue!: How Librarians and Cybrarians Can Save Us All at ALA Mid-Winter in Boston. While I enjoyed Johnson's look at the modern librarian and how important we are in the 21st century, I value the book more for helping explain exactly what I do on a daily basis. Family and friends know that I am a librarian ("Hey, you must read  a lot of books!,")  but don't really understand what I really do. 


"Hi, I manage a link resolver and OPAC database!" doesn't really excite people, or explain what that is with out a lot of additional conversation in library-ese. Suggesting this title to my family has helped them understand a bit more of what I do, and show why libraries are STILL important in this age of Google and ability to go to the web to find the most minute of facts. Plus, as an added bonus they know someone in the book!



No comments:

Post a Comment